View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lagniappe

BananaBucks : 245,733
Said "Thanks" 1,378 Times
Was Thanked 1,402 Times in 558 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 535 Times
Default Re: My 'two directions' with 'Palm Majesty' Ravenea rivularis

My wife loves these palms and has them all over the house . We got ours at Wal-mart and they were in great shape . I try to buy all my plants from localy owned nurseries but found these on sale there a few years ago and could'nt pass on them .

We have found that an extemely well draining mix consisting mostly of pine bark and perlite along with a pot with 4-5" of packing peanuts in the bottom to be the best way to keep these . We water often ,the majesties will show yellowing and browning of the leaf tips when they dont get enough to drink . the trick is to have a mix that will allow you to water very heavily while not remaining wet for extended periods .
We never fertilize! Only a little tea now and then . I had read early on that majesty palms were very salt sensitive and that one should be able to flush the soil often in container culture to prevent salt s building up . I decided then that artificial fertilizers would exacerbate this build up and that we would only use organics for our potted palms .
They have grown a great deal over the last few years and have been repotted twice .
We did lose one to crown rot (potted in miracle grow) and had another to be attacked by mealy bugs. All of them have had thier crappy stages but have bounced back ,eventually .

Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Lagniappe

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors