View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
marco

Zone: 6
Name: marco
BananaBucks : 18,524
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: My 'two directions' with 'Palm Majesty' Ravenea rivularis

Today I talked to a woman who's a neighbor of ours about this problem with my palm.

She's definately an interior plant goddess!
( This past fall I gave her a grown up naner pup and a sprayer full of my 'banana oil' & its instuctions, to add to her 'indoor jungle')

She looked at it and she thinks maybe it could be looking poorly at the bottom partially because that the lower fronds that I pruned off some time ago had been pruned with a steel and unsterilized pruners.
She is of the belief that anthracnose and other problems can be spread readily from plant to plant by way of the pruner, specifically unsterilized steel ones.
She showed me what she has for her house. She uses some nice looking metal snips with thick nylon replaceable blades. (But I didn't see a brand name on them unfortunately)

She said she knows for sure that the steel blades are more likely to harbor bacteria. And even with the nylon blades she uses a watered down alcohol solution to sterilize the blade after cutting on a given plant.

Anyone else ever heard of this, or run in to this problem with palms or other plants?
marco is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To marco