Thread: What root rot?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
Olafhenny

Zone: Hardiness Zone 6
Name: Olaf
BananaBucks : 245,928
Said "Thanks" 2,050 Times
Was Thanked 2,012 Times in 876 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 77 Times
Default Re: What root rot?

Sorry, Harvey and KJ, there is a lot of esoteric information out there on the impact of the
presence/absence of oxygen on roots, of bananas or others. I am not prepared to
comment on any of the provided URLs, unless they appear to directly contradict my
assertion, which is central to my starting this threat and my related appeal to stop
spreading misinformation about root rot in bananas on this forum.

For the umptiest time: “You cannot cause root rot by over-watering a banana plant with
green leaves in a pot with a drain hole at the bottom.” For real nitpickers I should really
add: The pot should not be in a container, which allows water to accumulate to a high
level around the pot.Having said all that, over-watering is bad, because it just leaches out
the nutrients from the soil. But Bananas need lots of water, so do not hesitate to supply it.

I believe, that I have, with reference to others, provided ample evidence in this thread
to support my contention.

As far as allusions to “tropical climate” in my lead photo are concerned, let me point out
that Vikie H. is growing her pond culture in HZ6/7, a long way from the balmy tropics.

I know, how hard it is to change one's opinion on a subject, especially when involved
in spreading that opinion. I had to do it quite a few times in view of new evidence

Olaf

Last edited by Olafhenny : 01-22-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Olafhenny is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Olafhenny