View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Richard
un-Retired

Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
BananaBucks : 500,733
Said "Thanks" 3,636 Times
Was Thanked 12,543 Times in 4,721 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,685 Times
Default Re: Signs of Nutrient Deficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygrogan View Post
Someone here earlier posted a specific-to-banana set of nutrient pix. Real nice. I think from Haifa group, Israel. I can dig it up if you can't find it.
As someone in the nutrient sales business, my experience is that nearly all time that home gardeners bring a leaf sample and ask "what's wrong with my plant", the answer is one of the following:
  • too little or too much water
  • over fertilized to the point of no return
  • didn't understand that local insects and fungi would eat their non-local plant
  • tried to grow a mineral-loving plant in nearly mineral-free media (e.g., compost)
I know there are retailers out there who are ready to sell you a silver bullet to solve your plant problems. The tragedy is that too many people take the bait, and when it doesn't work they think they are lousy gardeners. The reality is that there are a group of advertisers who would like you not to learn about the cultivation of plants. Notice that in web pages published by a County agriculture extension service, the discussion of any plant includes a section on "Cultural Practices".