View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 11:31 PM   #106 (permalink)
formontcalamus
Wholistic Naturalist

Zone: 11
Name: Logos (French/Greek)
BananaBucks : 41,526
Said "Thanks" 4 Times
Was Thanked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: What did you plant today (other plants)?

Tally Man . . . Great idea. I just thought of this myself, then when I got to the top here, I saw that you already started ! What did I plant today, or: A day in the life of a plant nut !

I grow plants for the retail trade. No matter how many hundreds of plants I may be potting, I mix the soil for each specie seperately by hand. Today I'm potting starters of Allamanda dwarf (small green leaves on low bushy plants with Canary yellow flowers) (known in Puerto Rico as "Canario").

Into the mixing tray (an old wheel barrel without legs) mounted on a table at waists height. In goes half a bag of Natural Cypress Mulch. I pick out big sticks and chunks. In goes a 2 gallon nursery pot of river sand. I mix this well (by hand) and then about a 3 gallon pot full of previously broken up Canadian Peat. Mix again. My paid helper, or more often my free help (the wife) fills 4" pots into 10" x 20" trays.

We place previously grown plants on a table next to trays of newly filled pots. With a pair of clippers, I cut short 3" new groth cuttings, trim a few lower leaves and stick in a pre-poked hole two cuttings per pot. The trays of new cuttings go to another table to be watered and then placed in a location under a sprinkler in morning sun. ( Shade in Summer, morning Sun in Winter). In one week these cuttings are dependably rooted. Now they get a drenching of "Blue water", 3 tablespoons of Peters 20-20-20 per 2 gallon sprinkler can. It will take 5 to 8 weeks to be ready to sell.

Today, we completed 300 4" pots of "Canario" If I had not taken so many "coffee breaks" we may have done 400 !

Tomorrow we will divide and pot up Heliconia "Jamaican dwarf" which might be a bit more exciting ?

Business might be a bit monotonous, but its nice being your own boss. I cannot think of anything els I would rather due day after day than working with plants.
Love the Earth, Logos
Love the Earth, Logos / Wholistic Naturalist / Married / Father of ten Cats / Sexual preference: Anything that moves / French-Greek ancestry / Special interests: Codiaeum (Crotons), Evolutionary behavior / Look to the examples of Nature to understand Humanity.
formontcalamus is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To formontcalamus

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors