View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
mand

Zone: UK 8a or 7b (good ol' UK muddliness)
Name: mand
BananaBucks : 15,230
Said "Thanks" 31 Times
Was Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Default Re: A real beginner question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbyrd88888 View Post
Banana Genome INFO
No offense intended Defined:
or·na·men·tal (ôrn-mntl)----just another word
adj.
Of, relating to, or serving as an ornament or decoration.
n.
Something that serves as ornamentation, especially a plant grown for its beauty.
That's what I would have thought! But people seem to talk as if ornamentals were a clearly-defined subset of banana plants in general. If it just means growing them because they're pretty, I'll relax. Does the presence of seeds have nothing to do with it?

Quote:
That was probably my first real question tooo..... I found all BBB/BB Genome species of bananas have seeds and some can still be ate....Some have small seed some have biggG.
AAAA/AAA/AA genome are bananas w/o seed, usually in stores
ABB/AAB/AABB/ABBB are plantains and have no seeds also but banana family.
ALLLLL bananas are considered edible because they contain nothing poison or toxic to humans....might not taste good.
Quote:
Banana allergy is related to avocado and latex somehow.
I know about that; my eldest has a severe allergy to rubber latex. So I know a lot more than I'm happy to. It's a question of the proteins in the stuff; there are 14 or 16 in latex, and certain of the same ones are in banana, avocado, also sweet chestnuts and a horde of other things. Luckily he isn't allergic to any of the other foods known to be cross-reactive with latex. - or by now I'd have forgotten about liking to eat bananas! But allergy of course is quite separate from edibility.

Quote:
TASTE is my next question.
Keep up your research.
Plaintains and Bananas
Genomes are a bit techy for me, for now anyway. That plantain pdf isn't opening (it might tomorrow) but I have now worked out that a plantain is a banana you can fry - at least that seems like the distinction.

ps. It did open. That's the level of detail I'll get into as the bananabug infects me more deeply - assuming this new passion doesn't flicker n fade (dare I think it? (fickle serial obsesser))... that's the level of detail I tend to get into with things sooner or later but not at the very beginning.

No offence taken by the way.

mand
You are what you eat.
mand is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To mand
Said thanks: