View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
saturn

BananaBucks : 34,319
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default cold protection for Queen Palms

I have several potted Queen Palms. I usually bring them in the garage when it is near 25F or less and have done well this way. I've got some 20F nights forecast, and occasionally I get down to 17F.
This year I am out of room in the garage and really need to find a way to keep these palms.
Can keep them outside, with protection?
A) how low?
B) what protection is needed?

They are 2-4' tall, about 5" diameter at soil line, and in 10-14" pots.
I have a small temp greenhouse. I actually don't know how to best use this, as it does not retain heat overnite. Does just keeping them sheltered help at all?
I was going to try wrapping the trunks with xmas lights, but not sure how many to use?
I've also got sheets and blankets, but not sure which is better, wraps or lights?

Or would I be better off booting my potted brugmansia from the garage and overwintering them in the temp greenhouse and using that space for the queen palms?
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To saturn

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors