Thread: Dragonfruit.
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 02:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
caliboy1994
<div style="font-style: italic;"><div style="font-style: italic;"></div></div>

Zone: USDA zone 10a; Sunset zone 18/19
Name: Andreas
BananaBucks : 248,975
Said "Thanks" 1,474 Times
Was Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,148 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 236 Times
Default Re: Dragonfruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Well of course they are happy with sources of nitrogen and gibberellic acid. The canonical blooming time for Hylocereus species is after the summer solstice - and so introduction of a bloom stimulant before then is likely to produce an immature crop of fruit. The best practice I have seen in field trials here (San Diego county) is to feed the plants a 2:1:3 NPK ratio during the growing season - like most fruits, and receive a bountiful harvest during the production period.
They are the ones I received from you, Richard. I planted them in the ground this summer. They grew in pots the previous year (the Paul Thomson is still in a pot, I need to find a spot for it), and they seem to be adapting very well to the new conditions. Could I expect a harvest next year? The location they are in is semi-sheltered from wind and cold and receives part sun, and I built a trellis. I'll see if I can get some pics.

Find me on linktree here as Solarpunk Farmer:
https://linktr.ee/solarpunkfarmer
caliboy1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To caliboy1994
Said thanks: