View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Richard
un-Retired

Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
BananaBucks : 507,294
Said "Thanks" 3,636 Times
Was Thanked 12,543 Times in 4,721 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,685 Times
Default Re: Recomend me a few dwarf varities

There are some dwarf fruiting bananas that do not have "dwarf" in their names, and there are some bananas with dwarf in their name that grow 15' or more before fruiting!

There are also fruiting bananas that grow well in zone 10 (like citrus). Namwa is an excellent tasting high production cultivar in that category.

As for growing in containers, there is a blurb here:
Guide To Growing Fruiting Bananas In Temperate Climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanL View Post
Hello everyone! I want to grow some bananas for the first time and I'm looking for some recommendations from the experts!

I'm not a total noob, I do have about 25 different varieties of citrus in my greenhouse so, I do somewhat understand the tropical fruit growing requirements but I am definitely new to bananas.

What I'm looking to do is grow them all in containers, grow dwarf or varieties under 10Ft (that's about as tall as my greenhouse is) and lastly but probably most importantly, I'm looking for great tasting varieties!

Also, what container size do you think would be required for getting them to fruit successfully?

I want to start with about 4 varieties and go from there. Please recommend me a few that you think would fit the bill. I've herd good thins about dwarf bazillion...

Last edited by Richard : 10-15-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Richard
Said thanks: