View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Darkman
Dirt Master

Zone: 8b/9a
Name: Darkman
BananaBucks : 204,401
Said "Thanks" 9,263 Times
Was Thanked 1,582 Times in 702 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 243 Times
Default Bee Expert to attend 2nd Annual Banana & Fruit Lovers Gathering!

News Flash!!!

A bee expert will be here at the 2nd Annual Upper Gulf Coast Banana & Fruit Lovers Gathering in Pensacola at Darkman's. His schedule will have him coming right after after the BBQ lunch. I'm sure most everyone will have a full belly and welcome to opportunity to sit down relax and see his presentation. He will address the plight of the American Honey Bee and what you can do to help them. He will be able to answer all your questions from general to advanced bee keeping including questions on the Top Bar Hive. He will bring a Top Bar Hive with him so you can check it out and he will address the pros and cons of the TPH vs. the standard hive!

I hope all of you will come!

We have had a good response and have people coming from all over. It isn't too late for some others to join in for the FREE BBQ and Fruit Lovers Meeting. Those of you that don't make it are misssing a great opportunity.

Here's the info!

It's just one week away!

Don't miss it.

Hi everyone,

FREE BBQ!!!

Starting out with Free and following with BBQ usually gets most everyones attention and it is all true. Here the deal and there isn't a catch so don't worry about that.

A little bit about that BBQ. I'm not having it catered by some run of the mill place and it definitely isn't straight from the grocery store and heated up.

Nope! This is MY BBQ!

This ain't no throw the meat on a grill and call it BBQ. No SIR! My butts cook all night long sometimes 20 hours till they are juicy, tender slide right off the bone pure pulled pork ecstasy!

I'll put my yardbird up against any. Ain't none of that silly fancy skin off healthy chicken breast neither. Nope I go for the meat of the matter. Just large juicy smoked and then sauced thighs.

Now I wish I had some good cajun sausage
EDIT rumor has it that the Mayor of Lizard Creek, LA will be bring some Cajun sausage!
but we have some that ain't too bad. Especially when you cook it in a smoker. People don't even have a clue what sausage is all about when they throw it in a skillet and maybe sizzle it to death. You bite my sausage you better be ready to catch some pure pork deliciousness cause it will run down your chin.

Combine that with my special Darkman's BBQ beans, Cole slaw and other sides and you need one of my wheelbarrows to get back to your car.

Did I mention those Bacon wrapped Jalapeno poppers? Now don't you worry these won't burn you up cause the centers filled with a cream cheese mixture. I guarantee these will go fast!

OK I hope that got your interest up

Now here is the plant stuff!

It's that time again and hopefully we are giving a better heads up so more of you can attend.

This year we are meeting at my house in Pensacola, FL. Most of the group is growing many fruit trees such as Avocados, Blueberries, Blackberries, Blackberries, Muscadines, figs, pears, persimmons, citrus, pawpaw, pomegranate, quince, pecans, peaches, plums, jujubes and Bamboo (edible shoots). I am growing all of those except pears, jujubes and pecans. I plan to add pears soon. We also have an interest in tropical "looking" plants and landscaping from small planting to hardscapes. I have recently put in a large waterfall that is open for discussion and I'm looking for ideas for the built in planters. I'm sure we'll probably talk about everything. You are welcome to bring a guest or two or three if you decide to come.

I have recently acquired a what I believe to be a inground dwarf cold hardy Mango. That is all I'll say now. You'll have to come to hear more details.

NEW A member here has sucessfully grown and harvested GUAVA in 8b. Come hear the details!

I am trying to get a Bee expert to attend and speak with us. Don't shoot me if I can't arrange it!

EDIT confirmed. The bee expert will be here and will answer all your bee questions from general to advanced hive keeping including the Top Bar Hive!

We are planning on meeting on Saturday October 12, 2013 starting at or around 0800 until we all get tired and go home. Of course you can come whenever you want and leave when you want. We will not have any kind of strict schedule. We just want everyone to have a good time and talk about our plants and anything else that comes up. Hopefully we can all learn a little something from each others trials and tribulations! My place isn't huge but I have squeezed a lot into it. I'm just a little over an acre and it is all open to walk around and look at. It is a work in progrees so don't expect everything to be manicured! LOL I currently have twelve banana bunches hanging and a decent citrus crop. I may have some figs left hanging too.

As I said I am providing lunch in the form of BBQ pork, chicken and sausage. We'll have BBQ beans, Cole slaw, Potato salad, Mac and cheese, and some kind of desert (maybe cobbler) and some folks are bringing cakes.

This is a family event and children are welcome as long as you can watch them. My yard is not completely child proof and I do have a swimming pool near where we will be eating and relaxing. Of course you can swim but it might be a bit cold as it isn't heated. My children and their friends are still swimming.

Unfortunately this is Florida so I can not share any type of Citrus so please don't make that request. I just can't legally do it. I will have banana pups but mostly common varieties and some dwarfs. I may have some rooted fig trees to share. I will have a few fig trees large enough to take some cuttings. I will have a few muscadines in pots. Also I have way too many 1 gallon pots that you are welcome to get some if you want. Also there will be a few persimmon whips available. None of this is for sale, so don't worry about that. We all try to share as many plants as we can to keep costs down. If you have something NON-CITRUS to share feel free to bring it! If not no worries come and enjoy the day.

I hope you can come. Please bring someone with you. We are trying to involve the wives and in the case of female members maybe a husband or significant other. If you are a single female and feel uncomfortable I know my wife will be there and I fairly sure several other couples will be here also.

Update! The women may out number the men so all you females come on it isn't a man's world anymore.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions. If you are interested in fruiting plants, ornamental plants and landscaping this will be an excellent time to make contacts and we'd sure like to see you there.

Thanks,
Charles
E-mail Darkman270@cox.net
Phone 850-791-2336

AS ALWAYS IMHO AND YOUR MILEAGE MAY DIFFER!!!!!!!!

Life - Some assembly required, As is no warranty, Batteries not included, Instructions shipped separately and are frequently wrong!

Kentucky Bourbon - It may not solve the problem but it helps to make it tolerable!

Statistics - Data that analyst twist to support the insane opinions of those that pay them.
Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Darkman
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors