View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
john_ny

Location: Staten Island, NY - southernmost county in NY State.
Zone: USDA7- Sunset34
BananaBucks : 606,709
Said "Thanks" 1,057 Times
Was Thanked 2,284 Times in 832 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 37 Times
Default My first bananas.

Many years ago, while vacationing at a friend's house, in St. Lucia, I saw lots of bananas. When I asked what kind they were, and what they did with them, I was told they were Gros Michel, and they were shipped to the U. K. I was also told that they were a little smaller than the ones we usually get here in the U. S., because Britons didn't like huge bananas. I brought a couple of corms back with me, and planted them in a couple of redwood planters, in front of glass sliding doors in a finished basement with a suspended ceiling. When they started pushing the tiles out of the ceiling, I had to move them out of there. Here's a picture of me, on the island, with some Gros Michel.

I looked in th Wiki and saw a line, there, for Gros Michel, but I don't know how the Wiki works. If I had made this post on the Gros Michel line, in the Wiki, instead of here, (main page) would someone have to look in the Wiki to see it, or would it show up somewhere else also? It seems that not too many people look at the Wiki, as most of the lines say 'Never', under 'Last Post' and, of the two that have a post under them, I can't find that post anywhere else.

By the way, does anyone know the name of the commercial varieties most commonly found in stores here in the U. S.?

john_ny is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To john_ny

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors