View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #32 (permalink)
Magilla Gorilla

Zone: 10
Name: Andrew
BananaBucks : 206,672
Said "Thanks" 612 Times
Was Thanked 1,183 Times in 357 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 79 Times
Default Re: A few variegated plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushak513 View Post
very very nice, I havent lost my love for variegation either. I have a tanee and am working on getting a AeAe. a friend just went to the IAS show and was suppose to be on the look out for variegated things for me. Id really like to have a few more variegated nanners but the prices they have been selling for on ebay is just insane. wonderful collection.
Mahalo. Be careful with eBay. Many members have these and maybe be willing to sell them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnana View Post
Andrew,

I recall in a previous post of yours that you somewhat understand the requirements of growing an AE AE banana in your old zone.
Could you please, please if you will, share that with us because I would like to over-winter mine in my home.

What THREE things would you recommend to over-winter this in a person's home? .........be honest......and anyone else please chime in.

Time is running out...........look at my temps.
Below.
My experience was in zone 10. I killed a few before I got it right. Number one cause of death in my opinion was over watering. I have also found the smaller the pot the easier to maintain the moisture level. Many people think these plants need more acidic soil. I experimented with adding coffee grinds and it made more variegation. I would be very careful adding too much of any additive in a pot. You can easily overdue it. They are not hard to maintain here in Hawaii but required a little more care in Santa Barbara. Once the soil and location was right they did as well as any other variety. They also survived a few nights in the high thirties in zone 10.

I would post a thread asking for advice from others in your area.
I hope this helps. Take care
Andrew

Find more about Weather in Kailua Kona, HI
Magilla Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Magilla Gorilla
Said thanks: