Thread: Banana food
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pallen
Container SDC Hobbyist

Zone: 8b
Name: Paullen
BananaBucks : 30,863
Said "Thanks" 573 Times
Was Thanked 241 Times in 82 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 113 Times
Default Re: Banana food

~ Wow! reading the Info:Fertilizer Wiki and other web locations reveals a LOT of different opinions as to what to feed our Bananas. It also seems to depend on what zone you live and what soil type you have. Also if it is potted and what type of potting soil you used. A lot to take in for a new grower like me.

~ Right now I am using normal potting soil for my first potted start and i am overwintering it in the house to extend its growing season. But if I get enough pups I want to try to winter a pup over from spring outside next year. I will need something for clay type soil. I will be willing to do a complete soil replacement for my Cavendish's outside location. I am interested in a one shot do it all fertilizer so I do not have to think about what it is getting and know it is in the right amounts for our area. Perhaps I am just being too hopeful that I will get several pups to play with this next year, but I like to plan and learn ahead of time.

~ We get freeze here up to 3-4" inches deep here in the Southern Willamette Valley of Oregon that on occasion may last a week or even two if a storm moves in to stay a bit. We may have up to several freezing storms a year of varying lengths. I hope a few inches of dry mulch under a tarp would be all that is needed. I am even considering a greenhouse to cover it so I can try to keep its summer growth to continue over to the next spring.

~ UPDATE: I decided to bring my Caven in for the winter this year. However next year if my Caven is too big for our small apartment I will make the greenhouse.

Last edited by Pallen : 01-09-2015 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Update
Pallen is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Pallen
Said thanks: