View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
ego

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 17,326
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Default Musa Basjoo in zone 8b

Hi all,

I'm a new member, first post here. I need your advice as I'm a beginner. I want to plant some musa basjoo in my garden in Greece, in zone 8b. Yes, I know, living in a country which is mostly zone 9 and 10, I had to have a garden in zone 8b, frustrating The average minimum in December and January is +1 C, and most days and nights are not too cold but we do get the occasional frost and the temperature may go down to -5 or -6 C some nights. This normally doesn't last for more than a few days and then the temperature rises again. Wind and snow are rare.

Now, my question is, do I have to cut the musa basjoo to the ground? I want her to grow really big, 3-4m tall with a thick trunk, and many many leaves like those nice banana trees we see in South America; I don't want it to stay 2m tall with a weak thin trunk for ever. Do you think I can only cut the leaves and leave the trunk intact for the winter? Of course I will wrap it in bubble wrap. I'd be grateful for your advice. Also the same question about elephant ears if you know

Last edited by ego : 08-27-2013 at 03:51 AM.
ego is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To ego
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors