View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
kcj1219

Zone: 5
Name: Ken
BananaBucks : 23,635
Said "Thanks" 259 Times
Was Thanked 100 Times in 57 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 19 Times
Default Re: Help! Is this cold damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismast View Post
I left home for work early this morning and as I walked out the door it was a bit chilly and breezy but I believe it only got down to about 55. Tonight when I got home from work, I checked my banana plants in containers on my front porch, and the leaves were wilted, droopy, and brown/black. The plants are dwarf reds. I didn't think that this would happen this quickly. Are dwarf reds THAT sensitive to the cold? None of my other banana plants outside seem to be affected.

Thanks

Kris

I have a dwarf red in a pot and it got cooler than 55 where I'm at one night this week and it didn't even flinch. That does look like fertilizer burn even though you claim that it wasn't fed for awhile. Did a dog pee on it?...lol I mean on the ground next to it.

I guess it could be still fertilizer burn. You take some plants that don't get a lot of direct sun and with that larger leaves then. You add a cool night where the plant does not grow at all for a while because of the temps. Plant is not using up whats in soil cause its temporarily shut down. Just sits in it.

Last edited by kcj1219 : 08-15-2013 at 11:38 PM.
kcj1219 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To kcj1219