View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #23 (permalink)
bananimal

Zone: 10a
Name: Dan
BananaBucks : 561,078
Said "Thanks" 4,688 Times
Was Thanked 4,979 Times in 1,509 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 191 Times
Default Re: What do Plantains taste like?

Hey Charles, It's that lemony finish that finishes me. The Dwarf Orinoco was my first banana. Got it from Banana Tree cause they said it can grow a bunch in a short season if you plant a big pup in spring. Started the first one 30 years ago in NJ. Fruited once - small bunch. Took pups to NC in '92 and got a good bunch once. Took it to FL in '04 and got a big bunch that had that lemon flavor.

Then I went down to Going Bananas in Homestead and got 9 different cultivars. Never went back. As far as cold hardy and fast bunch and good flavor the Dwarf Brazilian and Raja Puri are tops. Am loaded with extra pups right now if anybody is interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman View Post
Hi Dan,

If the banana did not look way past ready to throw away it was not ripe ENOUGH. Everyones taste is different but I think that if you had one that I picked for your tasting you would find it has a slight berry taste and a subtle lemon finish.

Having said that I understand that in your climate you can fruit many fantastic bananas and that have wonderful flavor profiles and don't have to look ugly to be good.

BUT for those of us that have a less favorable climate the Orinoco is something to look forward too.

I will be sampling the Tall Namwah this year and maybe I might have another banana to enjoy! My Goldfinger has just pushed a new bloom but it will not be ripe before cold weather gets here. This year I will cut the bunch and let it ripen inside.

Last edited by bananimal : 07-20-2013 at 09:18 AM.
bananimal is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bananimal
Said thanks: