View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
shannondicorse

BananaBucks : 28,584
Said "Thanks" 79 Times
Was Thanked 221 Times in 110 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 11 Times
Default Re: Is anyone growing near a swamp?

Ipatelski,

I am breeding bananas suited for low effective depth soils -especially the high water table and clay soil combo (about the worst that you can get!).

Bananas can work.

Use close parallel ditches into the water table. Six foot ditch spacing is adequate. Mulch heavily with aged clippings etc. Bananas are surface Feeders.

AAs, AAAs, AAAAS, AABs do well... the key is to allow the upper water table to be oxygenated.

I have Silk, Mysore, Thousand Fingers, 168-12, 3405-1, Pisang Mas, Musa acuminata malaccensis, Red Banana and Musa laterita doing exceptionally well.

Under those conditions of well oxygenated upper water table even Musa balbisiana is growing and fruiting.

I also have recently put in Ney Poovan and it seems to be fine. Monthan, Pelipita, Saba and Orinoco seem to need a bit more coaxing... but your soil is lighter than mine (by far!)... bananas appreciate low-bulk-density soils (not clays, like I have).

Leaf-prune religiously. Fungal and bacterial banana pathogens thrive in moist environments...so please space your plants!

hope this helps!

shannon

shannon.di.corse@gmail.com
shannondicorse is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To shannondicorse
Said thanks: