View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #31 (permalink)
vitin6039

Zone: 8A
Name: vitin6039
BananaBucks : 15,807
Said "Thanks" 66 Times
Was Thanked 135 Times in 45 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 26 Times
Default Re: what are your creative cheap and resourceful sources for big pots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanana View Post
I had spent over an hour collecting rocks and then layering them with gravel between screens in a 45 gallon container. Then I read this lol. Thanks for the information, luckily I caught it before I added any soil
Good thing you did not put rocks and here is why:

Question: Should I Put Gravel in the Bottom of My Container Gardens
The short answer is NO!
Answer:
There is a widely popular idea that putting gravel in the bottom of container gardens and planters is good for drainage. This isn't true and in fact, putting gravel into the bottom of pots reduces the capacity of potting soil to drain.

The problem is that water (and keep in mind here that physics isn't my strong suit) flows through similar textures and when it hits a different texture, gravel for example, the flow stops and the water backs up into the soil.

According to Dr. Linda Chalker-Scott, "gravitational water will not move from a finely soil texture into a coarser material until the finer soil is saturated. Since the stated goal for using coarse material in the bottoms of containers is to “keep soil from getting water logged,” it is ironic that adding this material will induce the very state it is intended to prevent.
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors