View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
venturabananas

Zone: 10
Name: Mark
BananaBucks : 239,024
Said "Thanks" 1,752 Times
Was Thanked 3,968 Times in 1,713 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 39 Times
Default Re: Calcium deficiency

I would try a foliar spray of a complete micronutrient product, but I wouldn't add calcium without having done both soil and tissue analysis tests.

I found that seaweed extract worsened the problem because it increased the rate of growth (through the growth stimulating chemicals in it). The problem is caused by insufficient calcium and/or boron in the tissues, which may be inadequate in the soil, or adequate but being transported too slowly into the newly formed tissues.

I think it is very difficult to diagnose whether the problem is caused by deficient calcium or boron just by how the plant looks. Guessing which it is and adding the wrong one will exacerbate the problem because each affects the uptake of the other. In short, I wouldn't add just calcium. Add both calcium and boron, or neither. Personally, based on my various "experiments" in my yard, I would neither. Instead, apply a complete micronutrient foliar spray (which includes boron) and see if that helps.

I think you can't really figure out what the real problem is without having both a soil analysis and a tissue analysis done. As Nick as pointed out, even when there is sufficient calcium in the soil, for example, certain environmental conditions (e.g., dry soil) can make it inaccessible to the plant. Adding more calcium to the soil in that case won't help.