View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #620 (permalink)
alemily

Zone: USDA 8b/9a, Sunset 28
Name: Amanda
BananaBucks : 37,146
Said "Thanks" 7 Times
Was Thanked 216 Times in 72 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Default Re: What's blooming in your garden? (bananas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Amanda,
Your banana and bloom look great,well done!!!!
This one and your Namwah actually look too great for your zone! How do you overwinter your bananas in the ground and they grow so well for you afterwards?
The in-ground bananas I practice the sink-or-swim method of overwintering. Except for the super dwarf Cavendish which gets covered with a frost blanket when nighttime air temps threaten to fall under 35F/2 Celsius...the Gran Nain and Namwah I don't bother doing anything for asides from cutting off any leaves that get winter damage. Winters here except for a few nights here and there are usually above 40F/4C. My backyard is also fairly sheltered from cold air due to the live oaks all around and a couple buildings nearby.

Though for the current bunch on the Namwah, I'll admit I reverted to a practice I used in my old apple orchard years ago when nights fell below freezing a couple times this past winter....sit up all night stoking a fire underneath to keep the air temps above freezing.

Click for Foley, Alabama Forecast
alemily is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To alemily
Said thanks:
Sponsors