View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
Olafhenny

Zone: Hardiness Zone 6
Name: Olaf
BananaBucks : 147,959
Said "Thanks" 2,050 Times
Was Thanked 1,989 Times in 874 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 77 Times
Default Re: Did I do it right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman1976 View Post
I'm not sure what temp my soil is unfortunately. As for the bananas, there's no stalk left on any of them (reds or brazilians). When I planted them I made not that there was at least one "eye" that looked like it would put something out the side, but I wasn't expecting anything to come from what stalks were left.
Don't worry about eyes, if the corm is sound, feels like a potato, it will grow.

Quote:
Interesting note, even the brazilian I kept in a pot indoors lost it's main stalk and now I'm working off of a small pump that sprouted last winter.
"Dem's de breaks" I have no idea, what caused your main stem to deteriorate, but the plant will live on!
Quote:
Because I'm in michigan and the bananas I had last year were reds and brazilian, I had no choice but to dig them up. I went with the bare root method and wondering if I made the right choice. If they do grow this year I may try digging up a hunk of dirt and doing a pot for the winter.... time will tell what I get. In the meantime I've invested in basjoos to get my permanate tropical look.

Of course you had the choice to leave them outdoors, with the proper protection. I live in
Canada same HZ as you and would never do the bare root thing. First year pups I take inside
in a pot. after that they are protected outdoors.

Olafhenny is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Olafhenny