View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
blownz281

Zone: 8b coastal
BananaBucks : 314,463
Said "Thanks" 434 Times
Was Thanked 742 Times in 527 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 14 Times
Default Re: growing bananas in northern/central north carolina?

First ,I don't think you can over winter those outside. If you find one cheap build a hoop house and use some source of heat to keep them warm. Buckets of water with fish tank heaters,spotlights,outdoor large x-mas lights. All ideas for heat for you. My mom lives more north topsail and a lady in new bern I think had herself in a newspaper article. Standing next to a large lemon tree and says its been in the ground for years. Use to tarp it but doesn't anymore. Plum,pears,apple,blueberry,sugar cane,stuff like that grows here fine.

Rhubarb you would have to google and see what zone it can handle I have no idea.

Depends what part of coastal. We live about 50 mins from Myrtle Beach and like mentioned next to the ocean. So we stay warm in the winters. I have golden barrel cactus and others/ succulents that are zone 9 and they all do fine in the winter.

I forget the name of the orange tree but a awesome nursery 40 mins north of us has a newspaper article about some type of orange tree that can grow coastal here.

Send me your email in pm and can show you a simpe hoop house I have used. Even several years ago we had the worst winter since 1978 and the bananas I have would have died to the ground maybe if not wrapped. But would have come back.
blownz281 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To blownz281