View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 04:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Chironex
The causasian Asian!

Zone: I have no idea
Name: Scot
BananaBucks : 117,829
Said "Thanks" 4,544 Times
Was Thanked 1,406 Times in 808 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 609 Times
Send a message via MSN to Chironex Send a message via Yahoo to Chironex
Default I'm back - at least for awhile

It sure feels good to have open access to the internet again. Presently, I'm in Jakarta, Indonesia for a few weeks rest. I wanted to move here, but the government says that I can't get a work visa since I'm over 52. Such a pity. China has similar restrictions, up to age 60 - but many schools openly discriminate based upon age and gender. While I can still teach in China for another year or two, I may be headed for Thailand. This has yet to be decided.

I'm happy to see many of my old pals still hanging around here. Welcome to all of the new members! I see some of my fellow enthusiasts haven't been around for awhile too. Best wishes to all of them. I was saddened at the loss of Patty and of course, I can still hear my old buddy Tog kicking around when I see his old posts.

I've seen so many bananas throughout China and elsewhere in SE Asia. I just visited the Jakarta and Bogor Botanic Gardens and realized that I've forgotten so much about banana identification. I haven't had any banana plants for nearly four years now. I'm hopeful that I can once again grow some in Thailand.

I was looking for photos of the bananas I sold when I left for China. IT would sure be nice to see them grown up. I saw some of Cheryl's Truly Tiny and perhaps one or two others, but it would be great to see more. I had some rare ones indeed and have thought about them from time to time.

I know that there are a huge number of species growing in Thailand and I plan to get back into the game of learning to identify them. I'm not yet aware of the import/export regulations for Thailand, but will find out soon. As soon as possible, I want to locate credible seed sources and grow out as many varieties as possible, in addition to locating corms and pups of indigenous bananas. I think it was Bigdog who had some Thai friends. Feel free to PM me with any contacts in Thailand. I'd really appreciate it.

I'm unsure when I'll be leaving Indo, but it could be in a week or two. I'll do my best to keep in touch as things develop.

Click for Jakarta, Indonesia Forecast
Chironex is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Chironex
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors