Thread: Greece
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
waggoner41
waggoner41

Zone: 14 Costa Rica - Land of 1,000 microclimates
Name: waggoner41
BananaBucks : 12,247
Said "Thanks" 131 Times
Was Thanked 60 Times in 35 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 54 Times
Default Re: Greece

[quote=lowinaki;216820]Hello my name is Olga
I am Dutch, but i live in Greece, since Greece is in a lot of problems right now, and i see people not having money to buy food i decided to look at what we can grow ourselves.
Bananas would do really good here (zone 9) but i could not find any reasonable eatable banana rhizome for sale in Europe, all American companies, I hope to find this here, and if anybody has some good ideas or wants to help and has some survival food seeds , that would be great.[/QUOTE

Growing bananas in zone 9 can be done but you must realize that it requires more intensive labor in protectng the plants during the winter.

You have to consider the winds as well as the temperature range and rainfall.

During the winter you can construct plastic coverings for the bananas taking care that the covering does not touch the plant itself.
The cost for material can be minimal if the winds are not great, higher if the coverings have to be more sturdy but in either case the labor is more intensive. Knowing that heat rises lights to provide heat might be set up down low under the covering.

Consider the rainfall in your area, when is your rainy season and when do you have to water.

Much information to help in your endeavor is available on the internet with a few searches.

There are banana varieties that withstand the cold more than others. Look into these varieties.

Good luck.

Click for San Jose, Costa Rica Forecast
waggoner41 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To waggoner41
Said thanks: