View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
KokoTheMonkey

BananaBucks : 18,029
Said "Thanks" 21 Times
Was Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Looking for cultivar below 6 foot that needs less light and warmth.

Hey everyone! As you can see from my name, I just love banana's. Just today I figured out that they can actually be grown indoors and in containers. I live in chilly Europe (Netherlands) so the stuff that grows really good here are berries. Which is pretty awesome, but I'm growing those outside in containers so I would prefer something tropical to spice up the indoors.

List of limitations:
8 foot high ceiling. Assuming 2 foot high container, even a 6 foot plant is pushing it.

Light. 1660 mean sunshine hours climate, not even a southern window. Today (spring) I recieved a grand total of 3 hours direct sunlight.

Warmth. I don't really like to crank the heat at night. It can easily go around 10 C (50 F) at winter nights. I could wrap it in plastic for those nights, I'm not sure if that would hold enough heat for those 8-10 hours. Because of the western window, summer nights are frigging hot. Winter days are a solid 20 C (68 F) all day.

List of what I'm looking for:
Fruit! I really don't want a hard to fruit variety, I could always test that after some initial success with an easier cultivar. Would of course, prefer one with big freaking yields. I know I can't expect 100+ lbs like those Gran Nain's, but I'll take what I can get. Ornamental value would be nice but otherwise unimportant to me.

Can I even grow ANY banana plants at all with these limitations? I have a few 27-30 gallon pots lying around but just picking up a banana dwarf from a store somewhere might end in disaster while I could put "would be considered an ineradicable weed in a banana plantation" berry plants in them for 10 lbs of fruit. I've done some searching in the wiki, but I just can't see the wood for the banana trees.

Red Dwarf is too high (How cool would that be...deep purple bananas!). The Veluntina sounds pretty good from what I've seen in topics here. And it's pink! That's actually better then deep purple. Too bad the flesh is a boring pale white .
KokoTheMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To KokoTheMonkey

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors