Thread: Greece
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kostas

Zone: 10a
Name: Konstantinos
BananaBucks : 217,086
Said "Thanks" 2,137 Times
Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 464 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Kostas
Default Re: Greece

Welcome to Bananas.org Olga,its great to see another member from Greece!!!
Where in Greece do you live and want to grow bananas? Zone 9 is relatively easily doable for bananas but is not alway easy on them and unless you can find or create an especially good microclimate,expect to lose the leafs annually but the pseudostems should survive fine in zone 9. Let me know your area and i may be familiar with its climate if its in southern Greece.

I am growing some edible banana varieties both at my tropical garden in zone 10a in Pyrgos and here in Melissia,Athens,at my main house's garden in zone 9a/8b. The ones in the ground in Pyrgos are doing awesome and grow super fast and i am expecting the first flowers and bananas this summer/fall. The one in ground in Melissia is not growing in the best possible place as it has lots of root competition and grows in mostly in the shade of the buildings with very few hours of sun. Thus,it only grows at a decent pace when kept very well irrigated and very well fertilized in the growing season,neglect either and its real slow. In Pyrgos they grow fast no matter what as they are in good locations that allow heavy mulching,which they love,lots of organic fertilizer,and grow in already rich,well draining clay soil with a shallow water table of only 30cm to 2-3 meters at the end of the dry season,which minimizes the need for watering even in the summer.

There do are some webshops for bananas i Europe,you can check the tread about banana nurseries in Europe in the European section of the forum. Most offer tissue cultured plants of various varieties,a few of them uncommon.
I could also provide you with pups of various edible varieties i grow but all of them have waiting lists for pups and you may have to wait some unfortunately.

Happy Banana growing in Sunny Greece!!!