View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
andy17

Zone: 8b
Name: Andy
BananaBucks : 102,164
Said "Thanks" 251 Times
Was Thanked 154 Times in 99 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 18 Times
Default Re: Forcing Bananas?

I haven't had much experience with fruiting bananas, but I've not experienced or heard of bananas having a sure-fire way to induce or force fruiting. As bananas grow widespread, shallow root systems, keeping them in pots can have a bonsai effect that can cause them to mature sooner. But if the plant isn't happy or the container won't allow it to achieve a large enough size the mother plant often stalls out and the begins to sucker. This actually has an "anti-fruiting" effect on the plant. The most reliable way to ensure fruiting to allow the plant to grow in the ground. In containers, because the plant's growth is restricted, it's really a toss up. Sometimes they fruit sooner, but with lower yields, other times they don't fruit at all. The general rule I've been told to have the best chances for success is to grow it in as big a container as possible (30 + gallons) and choose smaller varieties that are under 10 feet. Dwarf varieties and a handful of varieties such as the Hua Moa and the Veinte Cohol are reputed to be the fastest to fruit and most likely to fruit in containers. Super dwarf varieties, however, are notorious for being finicky and difficult to fruit. Additionally, high nitrogen fertilizing will increase vegetative growth, so as fruiting time get near, make sure to back off nitrogen intensive fertilizer. Hope this helps! Best wishes,
Andy

andy17 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To andy17
Said thanks: