View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 01:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
chufi

BananaBucks : 5,202
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Bananas in northern california?

Hi, I'm at 94930 US (9b hardiness) and was thinking of trying a banana plant outside. I was wondering what edible varieties might be recommended? As another weather data point: I also have a 'little cado' avocado plant that I have had for a couple of winters with no cold damage and in theory that is only supposed to have average tolerance to 28F. (Which is about as low as it gets, though it can have unusual years and get a little colder)

I guess in theory I could do something in containers, I have a large sunny deck - and move inside on frost nights. But it would need to fit in the house and I would like to try and get fruit. Not sure if that works in containers?

Goldfinger and Rajapuri seemed like they might work? I've only done limited research though so wanted to ask you all if it would even be worth trying.
chufi is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chufi
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors