View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
harveyc
Been nuts, gone bananas

Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
BananaBucks : 260,937
Said "Thanks" 6,024 Times
Was Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,894 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,785 Times
Default Re: Just moved bananas

Well, Benny, don't drool too bad but I do have a bit of an easier time as I am probably the only one you will ever hear of in your entire life that gets natural gas for free. While I don't get the royalties from the natural gas that is being taken from wells on my farm, the old lease does give me the rights to free natural gas for my residential "lights and stoves". I have a detached structure that I use as my shop that stays heated. However, it doesn't have enough light so I am putting up a 1,000w metal halide light having from a rail that will move it back and forth 9'. None of my bananas are in pots as big as yours. The bigger ones are in the ground and will get brown this winter, I'm sure. But I have many in 5 gallon pots and a few 15 gallon pots and I'm just hoping that they can get to a pretty good size by late March or early April when I can plat them outside. I imagine my banana room will get pretty crowded by next spring! I'm thinking I can take pups next summer or fall and put them in pots and do the same thing and see what others can make it on their own outside. Hopefully, we won't have the low temperatures (20F) like we had this past winter. My light will probably cost me $50/month to run, but I may cut it back as the room does get some sun in the morning. I'm hoping that my wife will think it is worth it if I grow 1 tomato plant and some basil to keep her happy.