Thread: Overwintering
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
dmas

Zone: 6b
BananaBucks : 1,001
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Overwintering

For what it is worth...I'm up here in upstate NY. Very, very little sun from Nov-March and long lasting winters. I have SDC and Sikkimensis that I pot up every year in October, and then stick back out in the garden in early May. I've had poor luck overwintering to this point and normally have significant dieback by the time spring comes. This year I decided to use only pea gravel in Lieu of sand or potting soil. I filled the pots with pea gravel and only put a thin layer of bark mulch on top. Other than that I am treating them like all my other house plants...which is to say I'm not doing anything special. It is still early...very early...but I have to say that to this point my plants have NEVER looked healthier. Even the ones that are potted up in the basement with little light and very cool temps are doing well. These are plants that I am trying to force into dormancy but I'm still getting new growth. I normally never try and fertilize but I may try on some plants this year. Long ways to go but I am cautiously optimistic. We shall see.

Last edited by dmas : 12-31-2012 at 12:55 PM.
dmas is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To dmas
Said thanks: