Thread: Overwintering
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
LilRaverBoi
Nanner Time!

Zone: 5
Name: Bryan
BananaBucks : 114,014
Said "Thanks" 534 Times
Was Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,245 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 855 Times
Send a message via AIM to LilRaverBoi
Default Re: Overwintering

Best advice I can offer is to maximize light, don't fertilize (minimal if at all) and water sparingly (let them get very dry before watering each time). Also, try to bump humidity with a humidifier and keep the temp as warm as you can afford/tolerate (or maybe invest in some heater pads for under the pots). I also tend to have issues with spider mites every winter which gets very annoying....so watch for evidence of this (or other pests) frequently. Frequent misting can help with pests as does keeping humidity up.

And with all said and done.....I've found that certain varieties don't take kindly to the transition to indoors. Certain types have certain requirements that are difficult to meet to keep them happy (ex: siam ruby likes a lot of heat). I have a few plants that I have had for several winters that tend to stop growing and die back to pups no matter what I do. I tend to use this experience to guide me to grow things that do well for me and avoid those that tend to fare poorly during winter.
RIP Tog Tan. We love you and will always remember you!
I'm Bryan with a Y! There is no 'I' in BRYAN!
LilRaverBoi is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To LilRaverBoi
Said thanks: