View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Romul

Name: Romul
BananaBucks : 7,246
Said "Thanks" 17 Times
Was Thanked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 100 Times
Default Re: implants as a means for crossing Musa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsws View Post
It sounds as though making chimeras by mixing cells in TC is probably possible, but doesn't usually happen:

Experimentally Synthesized Plant Chimeras I. In vitro Recovery of Nicotiana tabacum L. Chimeras from Mixed Callus Cultures

Some gene transfer among cells of a chimera should be possible if the host is infected with a suitable virus or bacterium. But plants don't have anything like the circulating stem cells that help replenish at least some animal tissues.

Getting a plant graft chimera sounds as though it requires having a new shoot meristem start right at the graft boundary, so that the new meristem includes some cells from each.

But I would have to do a bunch more reading before I could hazard a guess as to whether or how any of that applies to grafting bananas.
Yes, chimeric shoots can grow from callus formed in fusion of the two plants. But how do you feel about the fact that when sowing seeds of the fruit of these chimeric shoots, grow plants with modified properties?
There is "a method of mentoring." It represents a change in the quality of graft under the influence of the stock, or vice versa. This method is designed by the famous Russian breeder Michurin, and with it brought real varieties of fruit. I do not doubt the veracity of the work Michurin. By the way, his work is highly valued genius scientist Luther Burbank.

Last edited by Romul : 12-21-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Romul is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Romul