View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #36 (permalink)
HamiltonOrganics

BananaBucks : 266
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Earth Worm Castings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Giants View Post
Info:Fertilizer - Bananas Wiki

Worm Castings (Vermicompost): 0.5-0.5-0.5. Worm castings are an excellent addition to any soil mix because they put low dosages of phosphate in the root zone. The worm flem present in the castings is also a food source for mycchorizae and other organisms beneficial to plants. However, agricultural studies (with control groups) in San Diego county have shown that worm castings applied to the soil surface are no better and far more expensive than composted mulch. Further, surface application of worm castings provides an environment for the growth of noxious weeds. Up to two hundred pounds of dried worm castings per year are needed to meet the full requirements of a single banana plant.
Links would be nice. What you are saying makes absolutely no sense. There's much more nutrients in worm castings than in mulch. I've used both and plants definitely enjoy worm castings on the surface more than mulch. Obviously digging it into the root zone will help more. People who talk down on castings have no idea what they're talking about IMO. First hand experience and LOTS of research has proven the benefits of worm castings. I have access to a lot of them with over 100,000 red wigglers and 50,000 European Nightcrawlers. I also have 12 rose bushes that thrive with castings in AZ clay soil. My soil is being amended nicely from the microbes in the castings that work their way into the ground and transform all the nutrients into readily available plant food. Plus the castings have a "mucus" that acts like a slow release fertilizer. Everything the worms eat gets magnified through their digestion process and is readily available to plants. I feed my worms Fruits/veggies, composted horse manure, newspaper, cardboard, micronized Azomite rock dust, crushed egg shells, straw, etc... I challenge anyone to show me a better organic fertilizer than what I have and will even supply a sample of my castings to be tested for a small fee.
HamiltonOrganics is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To HamiltonOrganics
Said thanks: