Thread: Could it be???
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
amantedelenguaje
amantedelenguaje

Zone: 7
BananaBucks : 22,743
Said "Thanks" 832 Times
Was Thanked 599 Times in 200 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,393 Times
Default Re: Could it be???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romul View Post
Cool! Congratulations to you! This marks the hourly growth? What is the volume pot from you? A good method to reduce pseudostem. It is not very exhausting plant? Dear friends, there is a topic about it on the forum? My banana leaves is already hitting the ceiling.
The markings measure 24 hours growth of the bud/inflorescence. The growing conditions are not ideal, and it seemed to me that the bud was not emerging fast enough. I was concerned the plant might choke. The markings allowed me to see that the plant was growing and that I just needed to be a little more patient.

The pot is 22 inches/56 cm in diameter by 20 inches/51 cm deep and tapers slightly towards the bottom. I am not positive about the volume.

To keep my bananas more manageable, when the pseudostem is about 5-6 feet tall and the plant is about 8-9 feet tall, I chop the pseudostem back to about 2.5-3 feet. I know that my actions stress the plant, but I feel it is better to stress the plant so that I can bring it indoors than let it die in the freezing temperatures of winter. If I notice that the leaves are stacking or have any inclination that the plant is about to flower, then I try to be very careful when pruning the plant so as not to sever the inflorescence. I don't know how much my extreme pruning has affected the plant's ability to fruit, but I am about to figure that out in a few months. The plant in this thread has been extreme pruned twice since I purchased it in November of 2010. The bud emerged in 2 years.

Dec. 29, 2011
Apr. 1 2012
Jun. 3, 2012
Jun. 17, 2012
Aug. 25, 2012
Oct. 9, 2012
Oct. 11, 2012
Dec. 9, 2012

Last edited by amantedelenguaje : 12-09-2012 at 05:01 PM.
amantedelenguaje is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To amantedelenguaje
Said thanks: