View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
servatusprime

Zone: 10A
BananaBucks : 98,543
Said "Thanks" 446 Times
Was Thanked 912 Times in 262 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 24 Times
Question The effects of winter in south Florida

Hi everyone,

I had a couple of questions for the learned members. I live in zone 10a and am very new to growing more tropical plant species. I wanted to get a feel for how plants respond to cooler temperatures in southwest Florida. I have made a list of a few of my plants and what they are doing now and would love to know if I am doing something wrong or this is normal. I know these are very noobie questions, but I could use some schooling on how things are done down here. Thanks!

1. Siam Tulip – flowers gone, leaves turned yellow and are now gone. Will these come back?
2. Colocasia – Big Dipper – lost some leaves and slow growth. I want these to get to their full size, but they seem to prefer to spread., Kona Coffee and Hawaiian Eye varieties are still growing strong, in fact Hawaiian eye is very very vigorous in the wetter areas. It grew and flowered within a couple of months of planting a tiny plant!
3. Canna Lilies – much slower growth a few newer shoots, perhaps going dormant? I’ve cut a few down due to rust and haven’t seen them make a come back yet.
4. Helliconia – slowing growth and continuing to spread out, little vertical growth. Does anyone else give their helliconia full sun? Mine seem to be fine in it, but I wish the leaves were a deeper green.
5. My bananas are doing fine now after the cooler weather passed, my however Gros Micheal, is taking longer to get happy, but I am not surprised given the nature of the variety.
servatusprime is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To servatusprime
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors