View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Foreverlad

Zone: 9b
Name: Mike
BananaBucks : 17,961
Said "Thanks" 65 Times
Was Thanked 64 Times in 35 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: Why Do Banana Plants Pup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by varig8 View Post
Maybe they had'nt suckered so much as you think and they were planted with more than one plant per each container to make for a nicer looking potted plant? Doesnt seem very likely to me that a single immature plant would sucker so much at such a young age in a 3 gal. pot unless it was damaged very early on.
Thanks Varig8.

All the plants I compared came from Lowes. Same size container, same labels, same plant. They even had the same initial price, so I'm lead to believe they were all once meant to be the exact same product. The only difference was location. Weak, sickly looking multi-puppers at one store, healthy, solitary basjoo at the other. In all likelihood the parent plant had been damaged or removed from these puppers.

As the plants were entirely root-bound, it's near impossible for a complete novice like me to try and determine age or length of time they were there in the store.

Here's an (admittedly, poor) image of 2 of the containers before I removed and separated them all.

There's no guarantee these guys will all pull through, but for 8 bucks a container, it was worth a try.
Foreverlad is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Foreverlad
Said thanks:
Sponsors