View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
RobG7aChattTN

BananaBucks : 15,998
Said "Thanks" 29 Times
Was Thanked 434 Times in 234 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: Success and failure + a question.

You actually have to be careful about letting dormant corms get too warm (or too moist). Most can take cool temps but must remain below 60 in the dark...basjoo needs it even colder to stay dormant. It is also very easy to rot a Musa corm when it is dormant. Some folks like to keep them completely dry except for a mid-winter soak. You want to keep them dry until you can actually keep them very warm with daytime temps over 80F. Strangely, there is a "bucket method" that involves keeping the corms with pseudostems (and a few leaves) SUBMERGED in a bucket of water. I was amazed to be able to overwinter several Siam Rubys this way last winter...but only one of the 7 actually took off in the spring. I probably should have kept them dormant until it got warmer but I was just too tempted to put them out early. They might need it warmer than most Musas. Anyhow, if you have extras you might want to try the bucket method and try storing them dry...both below 60F (dry in the dark or bucket with some light) and see how they compare.
RobG7aChattTN is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To RobG7aChattTN
Said thanks: