View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
harveyc
Been nuts, gone bananas

Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
BananaBucks : 258,864
Said "Thanks" 6,024 Times
Was Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,894 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,785 Times
Default Re: Mysore / Pisang Klotek - Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emegar View Post
Harvey,

I'm curious to know more about your Pisang Klotek and the kind of winter you describe it surviving. Did you give it any protection? Did the pseudostem start off the winter at 3 feet? I ask because I planted one I purchased from Jon which was about that height last fall, and it almost immediately rotted to the ground under much warmer conditions than those you describe. About half the corm survived the winter, and it has just now resprouted for me. I'm not sure why it suffered such a setback here in 10a.

James
emegar, sorry for missing your question directed towards me a few months ago. It's already been addressed somewhat by momoese (rot causes). My PK had zero protection. The pseudostem was maybe about 3" in diameter. It had been planted in the ground in the spring and got a slow start and not the best of care so it didn't grow a lot but was pretty well established when winter came last year. Although I mix compost into my heavy soil when planting it doesn't seem to be enough and I need to install a more effective automatic irrigation system. I've done what I have time for and my results are okay with a total of 7 bunches of fruit this year, though some are too late to mature and one is a basjoo.