View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
jason

BananaBucks : 24,362
Said "Thanks" 15 Times
Was Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Default Re: Long lasting miticide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodak View Post
I brought about 10 bananas in pots indoors about 2 weeks ago, and take them out on warm days to sun. I noticed yesterday that most of the plants were covered with spider mite webs on top and bottom of the leaves. The mites exploded when I brought them in. I didn't have any problem with them while they were out.

I understand mites love dry, calm air which obviously contributes to the mite explosion. I can spray with oil, soap, cool water, whatever. But those are only temporary solutions that kill the existing mites. I do not expect, nor care if the fruit are edible if I ever get any, but grow them only as ornamentals.

Is there a long lasting miticide that can be applied that will protect the plants form infestation for several months? Are they effective?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Mites are nearly impossible to get rid of,they can be controlled if every few days you can spray and wipe leaves off and spray with some insect soap spray,The plants that I can fit in the shower get a shower about once a month that really seems to be the most affective and labor intenssive way to keep the mites in check enough to were they are not damaging your plant.systemic sprays in my belief do not work very good I have tried them all,but they do say if mixed with a lower p.h water they become a little more affective.....Anything that use to work no longer is on the market due to it being considered bad for the enviorment,,I think ortho and scotts and other companies had alot to due with stuff that use to work and kill bugs not being on the market anymore,I mean why would I wana sell you a product that works for nine months ,when I can sell you a product that only works for a month and than you have to buy some more,,its always about the MONEY!!!!!! What a shame.Take care-Jason. Thank you!
jason is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To jason