Thread: New member
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
jhkewin

Zone: 9
Name: Jack
BananaBucks : 786
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: New member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikmatik View Post
Hello everybody,

I'm from the Philippines. I have thousand finger banana (4 trees), & other variety. I came here to learn

Thanks
Nik;
Welcome, but you probably know more about bananas than most of us here, at least me. Bananas really are from your own turf.
You note caught my eye because you are in the Philippines. I'm working on a simple processing machine for use on Cebu by my future in-laws. They feed banana pseudostems to their pigs as about half of their diet. Saves money, and the pigs love it. I'm tempted to try it myself.
The "trees" are cut up by hand, and take 6-8 hours a day to chop fine enough for the pigs to properly digest them. That makes fetching and chopping them a full time job for grandma or one of the younger girls. Chopping too course and the pigs don't digest it all, wasting food and money. Chopping to fine gives the pigs stomach problems, and makes everyone miserable. So I am working on a chopper that will be cheap, reliable, repairable, and quick. I think a lot of people would be interested in it. I would make the design available free if there isn't enough market to do it myself.
I'd be interested to hear your situation and what you are doing with bananas. Write me a private message if you don't want to put all your info out in public.
Good Luck
Jack
jhkewin is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To jhkewin
Said thanks: