View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
TommyMacLuckie
Howboutcha!

Zone: 8B
Name: Tommy
BananaBucks : 207,854
Said "Thanks" 7 Times
Was Thanked 375 Times in 202 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: tall red cold damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coast crab View Post
It has been a while since I've posted anything, but a couple of friends have asked about this so I figured it's time to update...

So the 2009/10 winter was the worst we've had in years (my tall red's first), followed by the equally terrible 2010/11 winter. This poor thing barely hung on. Both winters killed every banana to the ground including huge plants. The only things to escape were basjoo and Daj giant, but that's another subject. Thankfully, last winter was very mild, and things seem to be returning to normal. What was in the summer of 2009 the biggest and most beautiful banana in my garden is a shadow of its former self. Luckily, I didn't throw it away and what's left this year looks like what I started with in 2009. One thing I've learned is that not all bananas are created equally, and this one is VERY sensitive to cold. Hopefully, by the end of the summer it will be back to its former glory.

Now I have to relearn how to post picutes so I can do some updating. Hopefully it's like riding a bike...

Russell
I see that you and I are in the same zone but that doesn't mean a whole lot when lows can vary. I lost maybe 2% of the bananas I had after the hard freezes of '010 when it got down to 18F here in Mandeville and I know it got down to 13F in Fairhope.

I've yet to figure out why some are fine and others outright die but it must be due to the region of the world they are native to and what zone they originate from. So even though bananas are a true tropical plant, some seem to be MORE tropical than others, which means they just die as in totally dead when it freezes while others just come back fine.
TommyMacLuckie is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To TommyMacLuckie
Said thanks: