View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tropicallvr

Name: Kyle
BananaBucks : 316,013
Said "Thanks" 230 Times
Was Thanked 391 Times in 157 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 14 Times
Wink Musa sikkimensis 'Darjelling Giant' "Amazing night banana"

This has been hands down the fastest Musa I have grown from seed. The ones pictured are from the 6 to the 7 month stage. It is also one of the darkest, and most waxy. If I could only grow 1 cold hardy type this one would most likely be it.

It's the dark waxy one in the middle. Seeds were form seedman.com.

Here's a shot from underneath. Check out the WAX! Wax in some plants protects it from tempature extremes like intense heat.

One night I went out with my headlamp on and the Dar Giant just seemed to glow with all it's wax! The other bananas didn't do that at all.

One white pic is with an LED light, and the other more yellow is with a regular flashlight.
I sold this plant, but have alot of seedlings, and if I have the means will definatly install some night time lights that shine upwards on the stems. Imagine a 20 foot tall clump of Dar giant lit up like that!

Last edited by Tropicallvr : 10-17-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Tropicallvr is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Tropicallvr

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors