View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 07:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
RobG7aChattTN

BananaBucks : 19,047
Said "Thanks" 29 Times
Was Thanked 438 Times in 234 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Here's what I did last year (with great success)...

Last year I got some seeds form Randy and immediately put them in a community pot in Miracle Grow potting soil. Nothing happened and I moved the pot inside the garage for the winter. It was about 60*F or so over the winter. Then I read about varying the temps. I already had a plastic tub with needle palm seeds in it. It had constant heat on the bottom and a light bulb shining down in the box to raise the temps for a few hours a day. I put the seeds in a zip lock baggie on top of this so there would be residual heat from the light bulb for 4 hours a day and then the seeds would cool back down to 60*F. I assume that the heated four hours was in the mid-80's. Let's just call it 86*F. Anyway, this was in early April and within a few days there were seeds germinating all over the place. I dumped them out to pick out the germinated seeds and found that there were hundreds. I just dumped them on top of some Miracle Grow potting soil in a pot and put about a half and inch of potting soil over them and watered them well. We had that early warm spell and then I pulled them into the garage for the cold snap. I got tons but lost almost all of them later in the year after they had been overcrouded almost all summer and then planted out in full sun and extreme heat. I'll try again next year and plant them out early.
RobG7aChattTN is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To RobG7aChattTN