Thread: Dragon Fruit
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #627 (permalink)
harveyc
Been nuts, gone bananas

Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
BananaBucks : 207,030
Said "Thanks" 6,020 Times
Was Thanked 4,451 Times in 1,893 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,785 Times
Default Re: Dragon Fruit

Doing, good, Mitch, thanks! Edgar is a good friend and he sure is generous. He provided me with many cuttings three years ago as well and I've stayed at his home a couple of times and did pollinating at night with him. Edgar mixes all of his pollens together but I don't know how many of them actually have viable pollen and it might be the pollen from the Giant Vietnamese variety that sets most of his fruit. However, even last year when I only had one flower bloom within a 2 week period I used Physical Graffiti pollen to pollinate the very same flower and it set fruit. At least one commercial grower was very skeptical of my claim and said pollen might have come from another flower somewhere but that just isn't the case (I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with pitaya within 20 miles of here since I'm more adventuresome than most). Your plants look good and should be adequate to sustain the fruit but sometimes a smaller plant will also flower but drop its flower (that happened with my pitayo dulce last year which I also got from Edgar, but it has buds forming now and I'm hoping for success this year).

As far as my pitaya, they look very bad due to our very cold winter. Many died and most others were damaged but I had cuttings rooting in my greenhouse and I am replanting and will provide overhead protection next winter. One right next to my house in a semi-protected area behind my entryway deck and garage was unharmed even though it is the sensitive H. guatemalanesus species. It might flower later this year but is still a bit small.

Good luck!