Thread: Dragon Fruit
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #626 (permalink)
SOCALROCKER
California Nana Grower

Zone: 9B
Name: Mitch
BananaBucks : 39,732
Said "Thanks" 24 Times
Was Thanked 107 Times in 49 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Cold Re: Dragon Fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyc View Post
Mitch, have you been hand-pollinating your flowers? Most are not self-fertile, meaning you need to pollinate them with the flower of another variety. It's best to collect pollen whenever you have it and store it in the refrigerator until you have another flower that opens though it reportedly remains viable for less than a week. At the large planting in Irvine they don't do any hand pollinating and get good crops on all but one variety (due to timing of flower opening) because they have so many different varieties and either honey bees or nighttime moths take care of the pollinating. I saw a hawk moth visit a flower on one of my pitaya last year.
Harvey, How ya doing?
These were many different cuttings I got from Edgar Valdivia who lives about 5 minutes from my home. He gave me so many cutting's from all his many types of Dragonfruit to get me started.I started this DF garden in July of 2010.This is the first time my plants have flowered,and I do know how the to do hand-pollinating thanks to Edgar we did it a few nights last year in his backyard.Also I know to pollinate them with the flower of another variety.I do have pollen from a flower of another variety so when I need to cross polinate I will be ready.I do have bees in my yard from all my flowers and plants in the yard. Thanks for the help.Hope your DF is growing great...