View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
mosleymitchell88

BananaBucks : 1,995
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: A few questions regarding a potted Musa Basjoo

It depends on what you want your little bundle of joy to look like eventually (: It's my first year with a basjoo, too, so I'm still learning about it. I would water it every other day, or whenever it looks slightly droopy. For mine, i planted them using the cheapest soil I could find--anything that drains well. I think the brand is called hapi gro. yours should be more than ok. I also mixed it with cheap hummus--a soil-to-hummus ratio of 4:1. I would get some fertilizer, if i wanted my banana to be huge. I use miracle grow liquid fertilizer on mine once a week. where you live, direct sunlight all day would be ideal. Judging by the size of that pot, and from experience, it will grow for a little while, but it's not going to work for very long /: it needs a nice little home in the ground before long, and these guys can become giants. If you are able to, you'd have to dig a hole large enough to accomodate all its growth potential--around a few feet wide and, in your colder climate, preferably a few feet deep to protect the corm from your winter night temperatures, ideally with some degree of protection. I love these bananas, but the hardest part is getting them in the ground!

Last edited by mosleymitchell88 : 07-04-2012 at 11:25 PM.
mosleymitchell88 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To mosleymitchell88