View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Olafhenny

Zone: Hardiness Zone 6
Name: Olaf
BananaBucks : 246,038
Said "Thanks" 2,050 Times
Was Thanked 2,012 Times in 876 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 77 Times
Default Re: Need Advise on Palms

I want to thank everybody for all the helpful advice I have received on this call for help. I feel
like a heel for only answering this late, but one of our visitors backed into the frame of our garage
door and I had picked yesterday to fix the damage. Jobs like this rarely go as smoothly as
anticipated and there was some urgency to put “Humpty Dumpty back together again”.

I will here attempt to reply to all post in the order received:

Migael, you are right, “it is not even summer yet” and in light of what Rob wrote later, I may
not have quite the temperature required for germination for long enough.

No, Ante, I was not really prepared to give up yet this was more of a challenge to get some
sense of germination time for palm trees.

Thank you, Charlie, the seed house, from which I received those seeds gave a fair
description or the seeds, they sent me, but did not divulge the scientific name. I agree, that the
SN is much more concise, than the various popular names given to a plant. I like the idea of growing
things in “clumps”. I do so with bananas as well, but you are right, in this case that is carried a bit
too far. I will certainly reduce their numbers by dividing, though they are not in pots right now, but
in my Tropical Planter, in which they share lots of room with lots of other plants. See:
My brand new "tropical" planter
(For those who are interested, I will post more about the progress there in the next few days)

No, Ken, I think by no means, that using scientific names is snobbish. For anyone, who
cares about gardening more than just ‘sticking-things-in-the-ground-and letting-them-grow’ they are
essential.

Sorry, John I am not qualified to answer that one, but I am sure somebody else will

Thank you Rob, you gave me some concise indicators of the conditions required for
germination of my palm seeds. I am reasonably happy to have the two Chusans (ahem
Trachycarpus) for now. There are four more seeds in the ground, two which I had sown at the same
time as the germinated ones and two, which I have sown about 70 days later. For the other two
species the timing is about right. As soon as our traditional June rains have stopped, toward the end
of the month the day time temperatures will rise to as much as a hundred degrees and sometimes
more. To keep the seeds warm during the night, I will place the small “germination pots” into
an earth filled black bigger one, which can absorb the sunshine and retain the warmth during the
night. I will, based on your information, keep the Sabal lightly covered, to keep the moisture in and
keep the Nannorhops Ritchianna moist but uncovered to resemble desert conditions more closely.

Thank you again, everybody,
Olaf

Last edited by Olafhenny : 06-13-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Olafhenny is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Olafhenny