Thread: Come and get em
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
tlturbo
WUTSA V8

Zone: 10
Name: Terry
BananaBucks : 108,066
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 87 Times in 51 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Come and get em

When I have a bud come out, I write the date that the first red bud petal falls off revealing the bananas under it on the flag leaf stem in black waterproof marker. MOST varieties take 4-5 months from that date for the bananas to ripen. When the bud starts making little bananas that don't grow and tend to fall off, I cut it off somewhere just below the last large fruit ( just the way I do it - why take growth power away from the fruit for a bud that isn't doing anything AND it takes weight off the trunk so it's less likely to topple over). After about 4 months, watch the bunch for signs of turning yellow and it won't necessarily be the top most fruit. I usually wait until a couple bananas are obviously turning yellow then I cut the whole bunch off the plant. You can leave the bunch whole or cut the hands (usually have 8-10 individual bananas on them) off the stem. That way you have what looks like what you get in the store (makes it easy to put in a bag to give away) A bunch of maybe 8-10 bananas. They will all ripen over the next week or so. BE CAREFUL when cutting the bananas off or cutting the hands off. The cut will seep fluid (like watery sap) that WILL stain clothing, countertops, etc. (and it's sticky on your hands). It will stop seeping and dry up in an hour or so.

After I cut the ripening stalk of bananas off, I take a large sharp knife and cut the trunk down level with the ground. There should already be several other stems of varying height growing. I usually have 4-5 stalks of varying height growing so I get bananas about every 4 months.

As for spiders I have never seen any on my bananas and I had NEVER seen a poisonous spider in FL but I know they exist.

Terry

Last edited by tlturbo : 10-07-2007 at 11:06 AM.
tlturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To tlturbo
Said thanks: