View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
southlatropical

Zone: 9
Name: Isaac
BananaBucks : 158,653
Said "Thanks" 71 Times
Was Thanked 196 Times in 83 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Need help getting started growing bananas from seed.

I have never grown anything from seed. But now I want try starting some musa and ensete from seed. So, I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice all of you could give to help me out.

What kind of supplies would you recommend for someone starting out (grow lights, planting medium, ect.)?

Can I start seeds this winter indoors and plant them in spring? Or is that too much trouble? e.g. With the heater running all winter would the dry air be a problem?

Who is the best supplier of seed?

Of the following varieties, which would you recommend for a beginner?

Musa balbisiana
Musa Kru
Musa Saba
Musa Ele Ele - 'Black Hawaiian'
Musa 'Giant Tanna' albo variegata
Musa Namwah pearl
Musa uranoscopus - 'Red Flowering Thai'
Musa sumatrana X Gran Nain cross - 'Gran Nain Cross'
Musa sikkimensis - 'Himalayan Banana'
Musa acuminata - 'Tapo' 'Siam Ruby' Red Banana
Ensete glaucum - snow banana
Ensete ventricosum 'Red Stripe'

Any additional advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Isaac

Last edited by southlatropical : 10-05-2007 at 10:29 AM. Reason: added to question
southlatropical is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To southlatropical

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors