View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #57 (permalink)
Starwanderer

Zone: 7a
Name: John
BananaBucks : 5,532
Said "Thanks" 41 Times
Was Thanked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 35 Times
Default Re: Water Soluble Banana Fuel Dosages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Consider a dwarf or standard (not super-dwarf or giant) fruiting banana planted in the ground with plenty of root volume (approximately 1 cu.yd. or 200 gallon). Suppose this banana is mature in size but still 3-4 months or so away from fruiting. In the year prior to reaching this stage, you will want to have applied NET 1 lb of N and 1.5 lb of K. Since the 6-2-12 is limited in N we will calculate with K: 1.5 lbs / 12% = 12.5 Lbs during the 1 year period above and thereafter since the corm will have grown to the appropriate capacity.

For smaller root volumes and pots, scale the dosage by volume. So for example, a fruiting banana in a 20 gallon pot would have the capacity for 1/10th that amount.
Thanks. That helps a lot. I'm gathering that the only difference the timed-release aspect of my current fertilizer causes vs. one not time-released is in when I fertilize. What I mean is that if I want to taper off late in the season to prepare my bananas for over-wintering, then I'll need to start tapering off earlier than I would with one like the Grow More.

I am seriously considering getting a 1000w Metal Halide lighting system to allow me to still get some growth over the winter on these. That should reduce some of the need to taper off the fertilizer. I know this won't be nearly as bright as natural sunlight, but I should at least get some moderate growth over the winter and put me a leg up for possibly getting fruit next year when I move them back outdoors. At least that['s the plan anyway.

Thanks again for the information. I appreciate it.
Starwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Starwanderer